White crayon or white or yellow chalk
Yellow, red, and green construction or tissue paper
Black construction paper
Glue stick or glue
1. Trace the lines of a hat onto a piece of black construction paper using crayon
or chalk. Do this for each child.
2. Help the children cut out their hats. Ask the children to save a smaller piece
of black scrap paper to use later.
3. Tear yellow, red, and green construction or tissue paper into pieces. Encourage
the children to glue the pieces of paper all over one side of their hats.
4. Print the child’s name on the hat.
5. Take the smaller piece of black paper and staple it to the edge of the hat to
extend the width of the hat. Measure it to fit the child’s head and staple the
piece to the other side of the hat. Take the high part that is standing up and
bend it to the back part of the hat. Staple it to the back area to keep it bent.
6. Now the hat is ready to wear.
More to do
Have a holiday party and ask the children to wear their Kwanzaa hats.
Dramatic Play: Keep the hats in the Dramatic Play Center.