Red and green construction paper
red and green watercolor pens
Instructions:1. Five-year-olds love to talk. This is a great way to involve your whole group in discussions.
2. Beforehand, cut the red and green paper into two circles of the same size, about 4" in diameter. Glue them back-to-back, inserting the craft stick in the middle with the stick extended to form a handle.
3. Ask each child to choose a partner.
4. Make a green dot on the back of one partner's hand, and a red dot on the other partner's hand.
5. When asking the group to answer a question or have a discussion, tell them to "kinder chatter." Hold up the color signal and say, "Red dots, kinder chatter the answer with your partner." Turn over the sign and say, "Green dots, kinder chatter with your partner." This enables all the children to have a turn.
6. While they are chatting, the adult working with them can hear their answers and say, "I hear someone saying..."
7. To promote listening skills, ask the children to tell what their partner said.
8. Let the children take turns holding the "kinder chatter" sign.