Chart paper and marker
Instructions:1. Place one ice cube in a bowl by itself.
2. Place one ice cube wrapped in a piece of foil in a second bowl.
3. Place one ice cube wrapped in a piece of plastic wrap in a third bowl.
4. Place one ice cube in a bowl filled with salt.
5. Ask the children to predict the order in which the ice cubes will melt.
6. Make a chart listing their predictions.
7. After an hour or so, check the cubes and talk about reasons why some melted faster than others.
More to do
Art: Try painting with ice cubes. Put a small amount of dry tempera on a piece of finger paint paper
and put on a lively music tape. Give each child an ice cube and let him paint to the music.
Math: Graph the results of the experiment.