- Old magazines
- Typewriter, optional
- White paper
- Construction paper or cardboard
- Hole punch and yarn or stapler
What to do
1. Cut out pictures from old magazines, such as children playing, animals, and outdoor scenes.
2. Ask each child to choose a magazine picture. Then, ask him to dictate a short story about the picture he has chosen.
3. After you write or type the child's story, read it back to him to make sure it is accurate.
4. Encourage the children to draw a picture of their short story using paper and markers.
5. Fold a piece of construction paper or cardboard in half to make a book cover. Help the children glue their pictures on the front of their book covers.
6. Ask the children to place their story inside the book cover. Staple it together, or punch holes along the side and tie it together with yarn.
-Lisa M. Chichester, Parkersburg, WV