Shaking instruments are a fun addition to any movement and music activities you introduce to your little learners! Easy to make at home or school, DIY maracas are a wonderful craft that helps children develop their sensory skills through play.
Wondering how to make maracas? Here’s an activity from The Encyclopedia of Infant and Toddler Activities For Children Birth to 3 for homemade maracas that will have your toddlers and preschoolers shaking up some fun in no time!
- Film canisters or other small plastic containers with lids
- Items that make a noise (sand, small pebbles, paper clips, beads)
What to do:
- Fill each canister about one-third full with a different material, such as sand, paper clips, pebbles, and beads.
- Glue the lid on each canister securely and let dry. *NOTE: Examine the maracas regularly to be sure the lid is securely attached.
- Shake each mini-maraca and listen to the different sounds each makes.
- Invite the children to shake one too.
- Turn on music and keep the beat together!