Colored or striped plastic straws
18” pieces of yarn
Photo of each child in class
Clear tape or clear contact paper
1. Cut plastic straws into 1” pieces.
2. Tape one end of each piece of yarn to make it like a “needle” for stringing.
Tie a straw segment to the other end of each yarn piece.
3. Cut construction paper into circles with 3” diameters. Use clear tape or
contact paper to attach each child’s photo to a paper circle. Trim them to fit.
4. Punch two holes at the top of each photo circle.
5. Give each child a piece of yarn. Demonstrate how to string straw segments
onto the yarn by threading the straw through the taped end of the yarn.
6. When the yarn is almost full, add the child’s photo to the necklace and tie it
off for wearing.
7. After all the children have completed their necklaces, encourage them to
trade them with their friends so that everyone has a necklace with a picture
of a friend on it.
More to do
Books: Read stories about friendship.
Music: Sing songs about friendship.