Clip type clothespins, one for each child
Feathers, colored foam, and pipe cleaners
Tempera paint and brushes
Felt or colored paper
1. Gather one clothespin for each child in the class.
2. Make up a large free play chart using the diagram (see below). Use feathers or
colored foam for color, if desired.
3. Encourage the children to paint the clothespins with tempera and decorate
them with colored feathers and pipe cleaners.
4. When dry, write the child’s name on the clothespins with a permanent
5. Glue on eyes.
6. Hang the chart with the clips near the Circle Time area. Each time the children
pick free play areas, they will clip their butterfly on the butterfly play
chart. This will let you see at a glance what area each child is in.