Brain research says early music experiences increase and enhance spatial-temporal reasoning as well as the learning of mathematical concepts. Try this activity from 125 Brain Games for Babies with your infant to help develop these key skills.
Fast and Slow Rhythms
- Give your baby some wooden spoons or rhythm sticks.
- Put your little one in a high chair, or have him sit on the floor.
- You should have some wooden spoons or rhythm sticks, too.
- Sing a song such as "The Wheels on the Bus," and tap the sticks to the beat of the song.
- Encourage your baby to tap his sticks, too.
- Sing the same song faster, and tap your sticks faster.
- Sing the song slowly, and tap your sticks slowly.
- Your baby will enjoy watching you tap the sticks faster and slower and will begin to understand the concepts of fast and slow!