confectioner’s sugar and four cans of frosting, or homemade frosting
six cloth or plastic pastry bags
un-iced cupcakes or large cookies, one per child
1. Prepare homemade frosting or thicken canned frosting with a bit of
confectioner’s sugar. Divide the frosting into seven portions. Color each one
a different color: pink, blue, green, yellow, purple, and orange. Keep one
2. Place a decorator tip into each pastry bag. Put one color of icing into each
bag. Twist the top shut and secure with a rubber band.
3. Let each child take a cupcake or cookie and spread a thin layer of white
frosting on the top.
4. Using the pastry bags, the children squeeze out icing to decorate their
cupcake or cookie. A squeeze and release motion works best to get different
5. Demonstrate how to twist the bag and move the rubber band down as the
icing is used.
6. Take a picture of each masterpiece, and then eat this artwork for snack!