- Cardboard or tagboard
- A book about the desert and desert animals
- Green fingerpaint
- Brown or black clay
- To prepare, make a cactus pattern on cardboard or tagboard and cut it out.
- Read a story about the desert and its animal and plant life.
- Let the children trace the cactus pattern onto paper and cut it out. Have them fingerpaint the cactus green and then sprinkle sand over it while it is wet.
- Talk about rattlesnakes and how they live in the desert. Encourage the children to use brown or black clay to make their own rattlesnakes.