- Shoeboxes (plastic or cardboard)
- Hands-on materials (see activity)
- Place colorful hands-on materials or materials in a variety of shapes in different boxes. Label each box as appropriate. For example:
* Color Boxes add paint sample cards or Formica samples (from the hardware store), color paddles, colorful rocks and shells, or other small objects. Make one box per color or one box with color activities.
* Shape Boxes add blocks, cookie cutters, puzzle pieces, books on shapes, and so on.
- Keep these boxes on a shelf for the entire year, and change the contents often.
- Use this idea to make nature boxes, such as shells and rocks. Children can sort, count, and examine the contents using a magnifying glass. Some of the children return to these boxes again and again, enjoying the cool smooth stones, or the beauty of the shells.