4 clean, cardboard 1/2 -gallon milk cartons
Instructions:1. Make two dice by cutting the milk cartons in half and sliding the bottom of one carton inside another (two cartons make one cube).
2. Cut paper into 12 pieces. Cover each side of the cubes with a piece of paper and tape in place.
3. On one die, draw six items in which the children are currently interested (for example, a dinosaur, truck, horse, princess, and so on).
4. On the other die, write six action words and draw a picture that represents the action (for example, swim, fly, fall, brush, shop, and so on).
5. Cover the cubes with contact paper.
6. Gather a small group of children. Model using the dice to create a crazy story. Roll the item die and make up something about the picture that is facing up. For example, "Once upon a time, there was a very small dinosaur that lived all alone in a very small apartment." Then have a child roll the action die and add to the story that you began. For example, "His apartment was surrounded by soup so when he wanted to go anywhere, he had to swim."
7. Keep adding to the silly story until every child has had a turn to roll a die.
8. If desired, write down or tape-record the silly story so that it can be shared with others and enjoyed again and again.