Appliance box or puppet theater craft knife (adult only) art supplies (crayons,
paints, markers, material or paper scraps) actual or created theater tickets
Instructions:1. Make a tollbooth by cutting out a large hole from the side of an appliance box (adult only). This will become a window. (If desired, use a puppet theater instead.)
2. Encourage the children to decorate the box using the art supplies. This will become the tollbooth.
3. The children will pretend to drive up to the tollbooth and answer a question presented by the tollbooth operator. An adult may wish to be the first toll booth "operator" to demonstrate.
4. The tollbooth operator asks each child to name a member of a category, which is chosen ahead of time (such as animals, foods, clothing, or vehicles).
5. If the child answers correctly, she may give the tollbooth operator a ticket and proceed over the "bridge." If the answer is incorrect, the child may ask for help from another child, or "drive" around some more to think.
6. The children continue to take turns going to the tollbooth. Encourage the children to think of new answers each time.
7. When the game is understood, a child may become the tollbooth operator.