Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina
12 small blocks or cubes (monkeys)
2 large blocks (large enough to hold all 12 smaller blocks)
1 purple, 3 red, 3 blue, 3 yellow, and 3 green construction paper circles
(large enough to comfortably rest on top of each of the 12 small blocks)
1 medium-sized block (the peddler)
1. Become familiar with the book so you can tell the story without using
2. Gather the blocks and construction paper circles and put them in a box.
3. During group time, tell the children that you are going to tell them a
4. Build a T-shape (the tree in the story) out of the two large blocks.
5. Introduce the children to the parts of your story as you set it up.
* This is the tree. (Show children the two large blocks.)
* These are monkeys. (Show children the 12 small blocks, resting on the
* This is the peddler. A peddler is someone who sells things. (Show children
the medium-sized block.)
* These are caps. The peddler owns one purple cap, three red caps, three
blue caps, three yellow caps, and at the very top, three green caps. (Show
children the construction paper circles.)
6. Tell the story and involve the children, inviting them to shake a fist
when the peddler shakes his fist, or and call out “Caps for sale!” when
the peddler does.