3 or more books by Jan Brett
Instructions:* Display books by Jan Brett in your reading area.
What to Do
1. Show the books to the children during circle or group time.
2. Explain that an author named Jan Brett likes to write and draw stories about all
kinds of animals.
3. Ask the children to identify "same" and "different" qualities among the books.
4. Read a different book each day. Talk about the setting (habitat) in which the
animals in the book live.
5. Review each book as indicated in the assessment (below).
Consider the following:
* At the end of each story, point to the illustrations and ask the children to
recall each animal by name.
* Can the children name the habitat where each of the following animals live:
dog (house/backyard), pig (farm), bear (woods), jaguar (rainforest) and lion