Flour 1 cup (250 mL)
Water 1/2 cup (125 mL)
Salt 1/2 cup(125 mL)
Oil 1/4 teaspoon (1 mL)
Food coloring, optional
Paint and paintbrushes
Small birthday candles
1. Mix the first four ingredients in a bowl, adding the food coloring, if desired.
2. Invite the children to take a turn kneading the dough. Continue kneading the dough until it is
3. When the dough is ready, divide it among the children and ask them to shape it into any kind
of crawling creature.
4. When they are done, show them how to make a hole for a candle with their index finger.
5. Bake the dough creatures at 375Â° F (190Â° C) for 45 minutes or set them aside for one day to dry
on their own.
6. When the dough is dry and hard, have the children paint their creatures, then set them aside
again to dry.
7. Insert the birthday candles and use for a special celebration.
More to do
Language: Blow the candles out, inviting the children to wish for a journey to anywhere, real or
imaginary; record their responses in a book of wishes or their journals.
Math: Shape the candle holders in a number for the children’s age at their next birthday.
Science: Make the creepy crawly creatures in conjunction with a unit on insects.