Johnny Appleseed's birthday is September 26th.
- three apples
- one knife (adult only)Show the children the three apples. Encourage them to children guess what is inside before cutting. For those who guess seeds, ask them if they think there are a lot of seeds, or a few.
What to Do
- Cut the first apple in half and count the seeds.
- Prior to cutting the second apple, ask the children if they think the number of seeds will be the same or different.
- Cut open and count.
- Repeat with the third apple.
More to do
- More Math: Cut an apple in half. Talk about how the two parts make one apple. Repeat with thirds and fourths.
Submitted by Kristi Larson, Spirit Lake, IA.