4 or more different types of animalshaped foods such as whaleshaped crackers, teddy bear crackers, plain
animal crackers, iced animal crackers, and so on
plastic cups or bowls
Instructions:* Write the recipe for Animal Trail Mix on a piece of chart paper. Incorporate
pictures when possible next to or in place of the words on the recipe.
* Use this recipe on this page or create your own:
Animal Trail Mix
2 tablespoons of whale-shaped crackers
1/8 cup animal-shaped fruit snacks
6 animal crackers
1/4 cup animal-shaped cereal
* Measure and count out the ingredients listed above. Place in a cup or bowl.
What to Do
1. Display the recipe and read it aloud to the children.
2. Invite small groups of children to wash their hands and then come forward to
prepare their Animal Trail Mix snack.
3. Have the children count out crackers and measure the cereal and other
ingredients. Help those children who are not able to count or measure on their
own or pair those children with other children who can count and measure.
4. Guide the children as they stir their trail mix, then set it at their place at the
5. Once all the children have prepared their snack mix, have them take their
seats at the table.
6. Encourage the children to talk quietly at their tables, as they name the various
animals before they eat them.
Consider the following:
* Can the children measure the correct amount of ingredients to go in the recipe?
* Do the children indicate a preference for certain foods in the trail mix?