- White packaging peanuts
- Sensory table
- Avalanche by Michael J. Rosen
- Plastic alphabet letters
- Plastic shovel
- Plastic buckets
- Prepare the sensory table in advance by disinfecting it. After it dries, fill it with packaging peanuts.
- Read the story Avalanche to prepare the children to hunt for missing letters in the "snow."
- Empty uppercase and lowercase letters in the sensory table. Cover the letters with packaging peanuts.
- Encourage the children to shovel out specific letters, such as all the letters of the alphabet, letters of their name, or letters that come before and after certain letters.