1. Before school starts for the year, write a short note to each child welcoming
her to your classroom.
2. Include in your note what they should expect the first day of school and
some of the things the class will be doing.
3. For preschoolers, you might want to include photos of yourself and other
staff. Ask parents to review who the people in the photos are before school
starts. By the time the child arrives at school, she can already be familiar with
the staff and have an increased comfort level.
4. Mail the letters home to each child. Children love receiving letters in the
Note: You can also use interesting postcards instead. They are less expensive
to mail and are still fun for the children.
5. If possible, use interesting stamps.
More to do Follow up with a unit about the post office, letter carriers, and writing letters to
someone. Let the children send a note to a friend, family member, or classmate.