9” x 12” construction paper in assorted colors
3/4 ” x 3” paper strips
1. Beforehand, cut out 9”, 6”, and 3” squares, circles, and triangles from assorted
colors of construction paper to make an assortment of large, medium, and
2. Ask the children to choose a 9” x 12” piece of paper for the background.
3. Ask each child to choose his favorite shape (circle, square, or triangle) and
pick out a large shape, a medium one, and a small one. Remind them that the
colors can be different, but shapes should be the same.
4. Invite the children to glue the largest shape on the background paper and
then glue the medium shape on top of the large shape.
5. Help the children make a small loop with the paper strip by gluing the two
ends together, holding it with their fingers until it holds.
6. Demonstrate how to put glue on one side of the loop and glue it to the
center of the medium shape, holding it in place for a moment.
7. Next, show the children how to put glue on the top of the loop and place
the small shape on top, so that there is a space created by the loop separating
the small and medium shapes. Allow to dry.