Discarded miniblinds (lead-free, vinyl or aluminum), from a local thrift store
Hole punch Large beads
1. Before you make the wind whirlers, disassemble the blinds and sterilize them in bleach water.
Allow to dry. Then, cut the slats into 6” (15 cm) pieces, rounding off the edges. Now punch
a hole in the center of each slat.
2. Place the beads and slats on a table for children to string.
3. An adult ties one bead to the end of the yarn, and then instructs children to alternate slats
and beads. Children can take turns stringing one classroom whirler, or each child may work
on his own.
4. Allow the children to string as long as they like.
5. Top off the string with a loop for hanging, and mark each child’s name on a slat.
6. Hang the whirler outside and watch the wind play!