Liquid laundry starch
Tissue paper in various colors
White construction paper
What to do
1. Before class, pour about 2” (5 cm) of liquid starch into each container.
2. Cut the tissue paper into 2” (5 cm) squares, or tear the tissue into small pieces.
3. Show the children how to apply the starch to the paper with the brush.
4. Have them lay squares of tissue paper where they have applied the starch, overlapping the
squares to create new colors.
5. When the first area is covered with squares, have the children brush another area with starch
and begin again.
6. When the construction paper is covered with tissue paper, lay it on a flat surface to dry.
More to do
Games: Play color lotto or color dominos.
More art: Make playdough in three colors; encourage the children to mix the dough and make
Water table: Fill pitchers with water and food coloring, and supply the children with ice cube
trays and eyedroppers. Invite them to make colorful ice cubes.