Unpainted wooden beads or spools or handmade clay beads
Red, white, and blue craft paint
Red satin ribbon
Store-bought toothpick flag
Hot glue gun (adult only)
Red, white, and blue construction paper
What to do
1. If you choose to make the beads with the children, follow a recipe for dough made from flour,
cornstarch, salt, and warm water. Let the beads harden.
2. Have the children paint their beads or spools. Encourage them to paint stripes on some of the
beads or spools if they are able to do so.
3. While the beads are drying, remove the flag from the toothpick and glue it to the center of the
ribbon. Secure it to the ribbon with a glue gun, if necessary, reminding the children that only an
adult may touch the glue gun. Alternatively, have the children make a miniature American flag
with small pieces of construction paper; add little dots with a fine-point marker for the stars.
4. Have the children string beads onto both ends of the ribbon.
5. Help the children hold the necklace at their neck while you tie a knot in the ribbon. Be sure to
leave enough length that the children can put it on and take it off over their heads.
More to do
Field trip: Visit a local historical site.
More art: Design napkin rings in red, white, and blue using pipe cleaners.