empty salt and pepper shakers (or something similar)
bowl or bucket
snow (or crushed ice)
paper or cloth towels
1. Put powdered tempera into the shakers.
2. Give each child a piece of paper and bowl of snow or crushed ice. (If the
weather permits, let them collect their own.)
3. Let each child decide if she wants to sprinkle the paint first or put the
snow on the paper first.
4. If the child chooses to add paint first, have her put snow on top of it. If
she chooses to put the snow on the paper first, have her sprinkle it with
5. Place in a warm area on top of towels and watch the snow melt.
6. Observe to see if there is a different effect between the children who did
paint first and those who did snow first.