Paper cups, two for each child
Refrigerator or freezer
Small pie pans, two for each child
1. Write each child’s name on two cups.
2. Give the children their two cups and help them pour water into each one
about 3/4 full. Put one cup into the freezer and leave the other in the room.
3. The next day, remove the cups from the freezer.
4. Give each child his cup from the freezer and the cup left at room
5. Encourage them to compare what happened to the two cups of water. Ask
them why it happened.
6. Give each child two pie pans. Ask them to pour the cup of water into one
pan and the ice from the other cup into the second pan. Encourage them to
compare and contrast the water forms.
7. Put both pans outside and encourage the children to compare what happens
to the ice and water.
More to do
Snack: Make small Popsicles by pouring flavored, colored water into ice trays.
Put a toothpick into each compartment. Freeze overnight.