Tempera paints in 2 colors
Plexiglas boards, 2’ x 2’ (60 cm x 60 cm)
Good quality drawing paper
What to do
1. Beforehand, cover a work area with newspaper and prepare powdered tempera or thickened
liquid tempera paint. Set out the boards, paints, and glycerin.
2. When you are about to begin, ask the children to put on their smocks. Have them spoon a small
amount of glycerin onto the Plexiglas, then pour a small spoonful of paint next to the glycerin.
3. Tell the children to spread the paint and glycerin over the Plexiglas with their hands.
4. When they are finished with the first color, have them spoon the second onto the Plexiglas, if
5. Invite the children to draw designs, letters, and shapes in paint.
6. When they are finished drawing, place a sheet of paper over the board.
7. Apply pressure to the paper. Ask the children to smooth the paper with their hands.
8. Lift the paper slowly and show the children the mirror image of their finger painting.
More to do
Science: Invite the children to experiment with a mirror. Put a small mark on their faces using
washable paint or marker, then have them to point to it using a mirror. Write or draw on paper,
then hold it up to the mirror. Write the children’s names in reverse, then hold them up to the