- pictures of waitresses and waiters
- small notepads
- pens and pencils
- small table and chairs
- poster board
- markers and crayons
- Talk with the children about waiters and waitresses and what they do in restaurants. If possible, show them pictures. Place aprons, mini notepads, and a table set with a vase, napkins, and chairs in the house center. Encourage the children to play "restaurant" as desired.
- Make a menu of all the children's favorite foods. Ask the children to dictate foods to put on the menu for the class restaurant. Write them on a piece of poster board. Ask the children to think of what they might like to name the class restaurant. Take a vote, and write the winning name at the top of the menu. Encourage the children to illustrate the foods, if desired.
- Ask the children to draw a picture of themselves and their families eating at their favorite restaurant.
- Have a "class restaurant day!" Send home invitations asking parents to come to the class restaurant on a specific day. Also, ask them to send in one of their child's favorite foods (from the class menu) on the big day. Copy the menu onto smaller sheets of paper for parents to order from. Encourage the children to "wait" on their parents!