large, zipper-closure plastic bags
children’s books (classroom theme oriented)
stamp and stamp pad
15 stickers (for each child)
paper numbered 0 to 5
1. “Learning Centers to Go” provides parents an extension of the classroom and
involvement in the child’s work at school. In a large zipper-closure bag, place
a children’s book that correlates to the classroom theme (for example, a book
about doctors for a health theme). Add a stamp and stamp pad related to
the theme for the children to use.
2. Include 15 theme-related stickers and a piece of paper numbered 0 to 5.
Write directions on the paper for the children to coordinate stickers to the
number value. (For older children, use larger number values.)
3. Add puppets, puzzles, and a coloring page. Also include any class photos that
would relate to the theme.
4. Use your imagination when adding different items to the bag. Three or four
items in the bag is usually sufficient. Include instructions for parents and let
them know what needs to be returned the next school day.
5. Rotate the take-home learning centers through the entire class. This provides
a great way for children to share their schoolwork with their families and it
provides the home-to-school connection quality programs strive for.
Children love carrying the bag home!