holed masonite board with fitted pegs (optional)
simple tools (such as garlic presses, potato mashers, egg beaters, cookie cutters,
pizza wheels, nesting funnels, rolling pins, clothespins, scissors, and zippers)
large stamp pads
1. If desired, trace the outline of some hanging items (see materials) with
permanent marker on masonite board and hang it at child’s height on the
wall (optional). Put a worktable next to the tools.
2. Choose a variety of simple tools to promote discovery, problem solving, and
creative thinking. Arrange the tools and other props on the table. Hang any
hanging tools on the masonite board, if available.
3. Encourage children to be creative with the materials. Following are some
ideas for using the materials. Children can:
* use a garlic press, cookie cutters, a pizza wheel, and rolling pins with
* use potato mashers or cookie cutters on stamp pads and stamp shapes
* cut paper and playdough with scissors.
* manipulate egg beaters and clothespins.
* nest the funnels like a puzzle.
More to do Snack: Use simple tools to make a snack. Use a simple manual citrus
squeezer/juicer to make orange juice or lemonade. Grate cheese with a plastic