Help children give thanks to all of the important people in their lives with this classroom and learning center activity from The GIANT Encyclopedia of Monthly Activities for Children 3 to 6.
- Photos of children’s families
- Large basket
- Real or fake fruits, vegetables, and breads
What to Do:
- Send a note home asking parents to send in family photos, or take pictures of family members in class during drop-off and pick-up times.
- At circle time, show the children the real or fake food. Discuss the qualities of each food.
- Let each child place a piece of food in the basket.
- Talk about what it means to be thankful. Focus the discussion on people that the children are thankful for and why, such as parents, siblings, friends, and so on.
- Give each child a premade book (three pieces of paper stapled together). Have them glue their photos in their books and dictate why they are thankful for that particular person.
- Send each child’s book home and encourage a discussion at home about thankfulness.
This activity was originally published in The GIANT Encyclopedia of Monthly Activities for Children 3 to 6 and was submitted by Barb Lindsey from Madison City, Iowa.