scraps of paper
1. Encourage each child to decorate a coffee filter with markers.
2. Assist the children in punching four or five evenly spaced holes around the
edges of their filters (“parachute”).
3. Encourage each child to draw a small person or animal on a small piece of
scrap paper and cut it out. While they work on their figures, begin tying
string through the holes in the coffee filters (to save time later). Each piece of
string should be at least 1’ long.
480 The GIANT Encyclopedia of Learning Center Activities
4. Help the children use a small
amount of tape to attach four
or five equal lengths of string
onto their person or animal.
5. After the “riders” are attached
to the “parachutes,” find a high
place in the room to launch the