Plotted plants (snake plant, a fichus trees, and peace lilies are good)
Plastic cotton swabs
Small bottle of soapy water
1. This activity lets the children contribute to the care of the room environment,
which helps build self-esteem. Because the child works alone, this activity
helps calm an overactive child.
2. Encourage the child to dip a cotton swab into a bottle of soapy water.
3. As the child supports the leaf with his left hand, he carefully wipes the leaf
with the wet swab to remove dust. Children are fascinated with the shiny wet
leaf with its deepened color.
4. The child can repeat with other leaves until he is satisfied.
5. Empty the bottle and discard the swab.
More to do
Language: Teach the names of the plants.
Science: Explain how the leaves need to be clean to absorb light. The leaves use
light, carbon dioxide from the air, and minerals from the earth to make food for
the plant grow.