Tempera paint in assorted colors
Small toy cars with wheels that roll
What to do
1. Pour the paint into dishes and place a small car in each dish.
2. After the children have put on their smocks, call them in turn and ask them to place their paper
on the tray.
3. Have them set the car in the dish of paint, then carefully lift the car and let the excess paint drip
into the dish.
4. Tell the children to roll the car across the paper, tracking paint as it goes. Encourage them to
create a painting by rolling the car in any direction, adding layers of patterns and colors.
5. Wipe spilled paint from the tray with a sponge between turns.
6. When the children finish, lay the paintings flat to dry.
7. Afterward, hold a car wash with the children and rinse the paint from the cars.
More to do
Language: Ask the children to compose a story or a few sentences about their picture; attach the
story to their painting.
More art: Use a variety of vehicles with different tire sizes. Substitute plastic toy animals such as
dinosaurs or farm animals and leave animal tracks on the paper. Use the technique to design gift
wrap or framing mats.