- Tyrannosaurus Rex
- long ago
- wading pool
- toy dinosaurs
- poster board
- wet sand, aquarium gravel or potting soil
- Place a small wading pool in the classroom to make a toddler-assic park with some of the following.
- large plastic dinosaurs
- stuffed dinosaurs
- large rocks
- large twigs
- leaves cut out of felt
- bones cut out of poster board
- a small amount of sand
- pictures of dinosaurs on the wall nearby
- Let the toddlers play with the dinosaurs inside or out of the pool. Talk with them about the dinosaurs, how they lived long ago, what they ate.
- Take the plastic dinosaurs outside for the toddlers to play with in the sandbox.
- Add some of the smaller plastic dinosaurs that pass the choke test to the sensory tub or dish tub with wet sand, aquarium gravel or potting soil. Include rocks and twigs if desired.
To do again
Print with the plastic dinosaurs dipped in paint.
Keep the discussion about dinosaurs simple as toddlers see them as just another animal and are not interested in why they are extinct. Don't worry about knowing the names of all the dinosaurs.Some toddlers will probably already know many of the names, especially Tyrannosaurus Rex, Brontosaurus and triceratops and will enjoy teaching the adults.