- canned and fresh fruits
- plastic knives
- mixing spoon
- cups and spoons
- Collect the following ingredients.
- canned mandarin oranges
- canned pears
- canned peaches
- canned pineapple chunks, optional
- canned apricots, optional
- large container of vanilla yogurt
- For a group salad, each family could be assigned (or sign up) to bring one of the ingredients. More than one family can bring the same fruit. Each child can help prepare the Dump Salad and addhis fruit to the salad.
- Wash hands.
- Have the toddler dump the canned fruit into a strainer and then pour the strained fruit into a large bowl. Stir after each addition.
- Let older toddlers help cut the bananas into circles with a plastic knife. The teacher will need to peel and cut the apples into wedges. Have older toddlers cut the apples into smallerchunks.
- Dump the bananas and apples into the salad.
- Dump in yogurt to moisten all the fruit. Stir.
- Serve the fruit in individual cups and enjoy the Dump Salad that everyone helped make.
- Talk with the toddlers about all the nutritious fruits they added to the salad.
again Make a fresh fruit salad with other seasonal fruits in the spring and summer. Have each child bring a specific fruit.
Make sure the children thoroughly wash their hands before they help with any cooking activity. The toddlers can work individually or in small groups dumping the ingredients into the salad ratherthan all at one time.
Have your toddler help you wash fresh fruits and vegetables when cooking or for snacks.