- cardboard box
- craft knife (adults only)
- hole punch
- Away from the children, use a craft knife to cut a cardboard box into 8" squares.
- Draw pictures on the squares with markers.
- Away from the children, use a craft knife to cut holes into the pictures that you or an infant can push fingers through. Suggestions include an elephant with a hole for the trunk, a dog with ahole for the tail, a bunny with two holes for ears, or a person with two holes for legs.
- Punch holes into the sides of the pages and fasten the pages together with short lengths of yarn.
- Show the book to a baby, using your fingers to make the pictures move.
- Watch his reaction to determine how to continue playing.
- After a while, encourage the baby to put his fingers into the holes to make the pictures wiggle.
- Talk and laugh as you play with him.