- Baby bathtub or large plastic bowl
- White sand
- Household items to use in the sand, such as measuring cups, spoons/forks, sifter, small cups, empty clear plastic bottles, strainer
- Put about three inches (eight centimeters) of sand in the plastic tub.
- Place the sand-filled tub where the children can explore it.
- Add a few household items to extend the possibilities.
- Ask the children about the sand. How does it feel? How does it move? Can it be measured? Can you build with it?
- Add a small amount of water to the sand so the children can mold it.