Gryphon House Careers
At Gryphon House, we believe that our employees are our most valuable asset. Our diverse team is customer-focused and passionate about our mission to help early childhood educators and parents understand and successfully apply today’s theories and strategies of early education.
Gryphon House, Inc., an award-winning publisher of early childhood resources, seeks an Editor to join the team. Reporting to the Executive Editor, our Editor will have editorial experience, preferably in book publishing, and will be able to develop content, copyedit, and proofread work independently, as well as collaborate with a team of editorial professionals, both in-house and freelance. The candidate will be articulate, patient and tenacious, thriving in a high job volume environment. Ideal candidates will have a bachelor's degree and certification from an editorial training program or 3-5 years of editorial experience in book publishing. While we prefer a candidate who currently resides in the Winston-Salem/Greensboro, North Carolina area, we will consider a candidate who is willing to relocate.
Job Hours: 8am - 5pm Monday - Friday
Position Responsibilities Include:
- Work closely with authors to develop content and discuss and execute changes to manuscripts, ensuring that the author's work complies with project specifications and guidelines.
- Monitor appropriateness of text material as to level of difficulty, content accuracy and currency and freedom from bias.
- Participate in planning assigned projects and making creative suggestions that reflect an understanding of the early childhood education marketplace and an awareness of customer needs.
- Rely on guidance from the Executive Editor to ensure that the evolving product meets the objectives of the plan, budget and schedule, including specs, writing guidelines, and project audience.
- Participate in evaluation and selection of art with design and production team.
- Participate in staff and editorial meetings.
- Attend early childhood conferences as requested.
- Manage freelance staff on a limited basis to complete assigned projects.
- Proofread marketing and sales materials as needed.
- Keep abreast of market trends and competition.
Position Requirements Include:
- BA/BS Degree (preferably in Journalism, English, or Communication) required; certification from an editorial-training program or book editing experience required, preferably 3-5 years of editorial experience in book publishing.
- Must have a thorough understanding of the editorial and book-production processes, including fact checking, writing, editing, idea generation, and coordination and trafficking of manuscripts through the publishing process.
- Knowledge and experience with content development and editing, copyediting and proofreading are a must.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, time-management and organizational skills required.
- Excellent command of English spelling, grammar and punctuation required. Familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style, 16th ed., preferred.
- Should be comfortable juggling several projects concurrently and enjoy working collaboratively with other departments (e.g., design, marketing and sales) to deliver high-quality products on time and within budget. Ability to respond quickly in an environment of changing priorities.
- Proficient user of Microsoft Word and Adobe Acrobat Pro; familiarity with InCopy a plus.
- An interest in and/or experience with the field of early childhood education preferred.
- Ability to meet travel requirements.
Please include your salary range requirement. Apply online here.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We embrace differences, welcome diversity and value a culture of respect.
For-Credit Internship Opportunity
Gryphon House, Inc.
We are seeking a Public Relations/Communications Intern to join our marketing team in Lewisville, N.C., just outside Winston-Salem. We are looking for a passionate, organized and creative individual to join us immediately. Not only will you get to experience our book publishing business, but you’ll also be involved with promoting our award-winning authors across multiple media channels.
We operate in a close-knit, inclusive environment where some of your duties will include:
- Developing media lists
- Writing press releases
- Pitching high-profile national media outlets
- Coordinating media opportunities with authors
- Capturing and reporting media clips
- Ghost writing for article submissions
- Developing blogger lists
- Pitching bloggers and coordinating book reviews
If you think you’ve got what it takes, give us a shout!
Internship is for-credit; we will require interns to be available at a minimum of 16 hours per week. Gryphon House is an equal opportunity workplace. Please send resume and writing samples to Anna Wilmoth, email@example.com.